2017 Tibet Group Tours
By the 2017 tourist season (April-October) the Tibet Tourist Bureau have advised a new land border crossing between Keyrong (in Tibet) and Nepal will be open.
8 Days/7 Nights ex Kathmandu.
Bhutan & Beyond, in association with our partner Intertours Nepal, is delighted to present a season of weekly small group tour departures to mystical Tibet ex-Kathmandu.
- Please find our Tibet tour itinerary and costs below.
- Tours depart on Tuesdays, from mid April until late October.
- Rates are on a per person basis in US Dollars
- Rates based on minimum 2 persons taking the tour.
- Hotels used in Lhasa are 3 star.
- Most other hotels in Tibet are only a 2+ star standard.
- Extra nts in Kathmandu pre/post Tibet are mandatory & additional.
- Tours operate with between 2-18 persons.
- Please see important visa requirements below the itinerary.
- For a private tour please ask! Dep 2-3 times per week.
Day 01 (Tues): Fly Kathmandu / Lhasa
Early this morning you will be picked up from your separately booked hotel within the Kathmandu valley. Transfer to Kathmandu airport and fly to Lhasa on Air China. Upon arrival you will be met and transferred (1.5 hrs) to your Lhasa hotel for a 3-night stay. The rest of the day is free for acclimatization to the high altitude or explore the local bazaars at your own pace.
Overnight at Hotel Dekhang or Hotel Himalaya or similar.
Days 02 & 03: Lhasa (3,650m) (B)
These two days will be spent discovering Lhasa with its magnificent palace residences, Monasteries, & quaint bazaars. You will see the famous Potala Palace, Norbulinka-HH Dalai Lama’s summer Palace, Sera & Drepung Monasteries as well as the Jokhang Temple. Walk through the narrow lanes of Barkhor, the old market place of Lhasa, which has remained unchanged for centuries.
Overnight at Hotel Dekhang or Hotel Himalaya or similar.
Day 04: Drive Lhasa/Gyantse
(3,950m) (261 Km/4-5 hrs) (B)
After breakfast drive to Gyantse, a small bustling town steeped in history. Follow along the Yarlung Tsangpo River and then over the high Khamb-La pass (4,794m) before descending to the Turquoise Lake, Yamdrok Tso. Then ascend along a winding road to cross the Karo-La pass (5,045 m) before descending to the Gyantse valley.
This afternoon visit Kumbum Chorten & the Pelkhor Monasteries in Gyantse.
Overnight at Hotel Gyantse or similar.
Day 05: Drive Gyantse / Shigatse (3,800m)
(90 Km/45-60 mins) Visiting Shalu monastery en-route (B)
After breakfast depart for Shigatse and en-route visit the Shalu monastery. Upon reaching Shigatse visit Tashi Lhumpo Monastery – the largest & most magnificent of all the Monasteries in Tibet. Also visit temple of future Buddha that is 26 m high & gilded with gold.
Overnight at Hotel Shigatse or similar.
Day 06: Drive Shigatse / Xegar (4,350m)
Visit Shakya monastery (5-6 hrs) (B)
This morning drive along the flat Tibetan plateau via a few small settlements such as Lhatse & Lulu which are typical Tibetan villages. Cross Lhakpa-La pass (5,220m) which serves as an excellent view-point to see the mighty Himalayan peaks to the south. En-route visit Shakya monastery.
Overnight at Hotel Qomolonguma or similar.
Day 07: Drive Xegar / Keyrong
(2,500m) (220 km/5-6 hrs) (B)
After breakfast, drive to Keyrong. The drive is picturesque & offers one of the best views of the world’s tallest peaks.
Overnight at Hotel /Guest House in Keyrong or similar
Day 08: Drive Keyrong / Kathmandu
(110 Km/5-6 hrs) (B)
Drive down from Keyrong to the land border and enter Nepal. Here you will be met by your Nepali vehicle for the onwards drive to Kathmandu. In Kathmandu, you will be dropped at your separately booked hotel.
Please note the costs below are per person and cover the 8d/7n Tibet tour only. Extra nights required in Kathmandu pre/post Tibet are additional depending on your choice of hotel.
Two + persons on tour: @ US$ 2563.00 pp twin share.
Single room supplement: @ US$612.00 pp based on 2+ persons on the tour.
The above costs will include services as below:
- 3 nts at Hotel Dekhang or sim in Lhasa.
- 1 nt at Hotel Gyantse or sim in Gyantse.
- 1 nt at Hotel Shigatse or sim in Shigatse.
- 1 nt at Hotel Qomolonguma or sim in Xegar.
- 1 nt at Hotel/Guesthouse in Keyrong.
- Breakfasts daily.
- Tours & transfers with English speaking Tibetan guide.
- Tours & transfers in a private air conditioned vehicle.
- Monument fees & entrance fees as currently applicable.
- Keyrong (Nepal/Tibet border)/Kathmandu private surface transfer using non air conditioned vehicle
- Special Tibet Permit fees.
- Airport transfer in Kathmandu for flight to Lhasa.
- Economy airfare & taxes Kathmandu/Lhasa with Air China (subject to change).
Please note China Visa fee is extra and will be collected in Kathmandu in US Dollars cash. The current visa fee is US$ 85 per person (valid for German, Austrian, Australian, British, nationals) while the visa fee is US$ 175 for American nationals.
Please note the following:
1) Extra Stays in Kathmandu Pre/Post Tibet Tour:
This Tibet overland tour requires participants to have a minimum 2 nights stay in Kathmandu before and 1 night stay in Kathmandu after the tour. Clients should be in Kathmandu by Sunday evening latest for Tuesday departure. They should contact Intertours immediately after arrival and should visit their office in order to complete China Visa forms and handover original passport, visa fees & passport sized coloured photo. For those who arrive late evening on Sunday they should attend the Intertours office at 9AM on Monday.
Provided your book your pre/post Kathmandu arrangements with Bhutan & Beyond you will be assisted to complete your China Visa applications on arrival.
2) Tibet Visa:
Intertours will process the Tibet permit and obtain the Tibet Visa (China Visa) on your behalf on your arrival in Kathmandu. Intertours have to obtain a special China Visa from the Chinese Embassy in Kathmandu for entry to Tibet. Intertours will collect your passports, one coloured photograph and China Visa fee (in US Dollars cash). Please note you will get your original passports back, with loose leaf china visas, the same morning that you fly to Lhasa. Please do not to obtain a mainland China Visa in advance.
In order to process for your Tibet permit we require colour passport copies which must be scanned and emailed to us at least one month prior to your Tibet tour. All passports should have a “validity period of minimum six months” beyond the intended date of departure from Tibet. Besides this, we need “profession details” of all clients for a Tibet permit.
Please note passport copies emailed to us in advance should match with the original passport you submit for Tibet/China Visa in Kathmandu.
3) Journalists Beware: Further note anybody of any country carrying a passport with which they have earlier travelled to China as a “journalist” can travel to Tibet only after receiving a clearance from the China Internal Affairs Ministry from Beijing which is a separate process altogether. Diplomatic passport holders will also have to seek prior permission through official channels in the country of origin as we are not permitted to apply for their visa. Please ensure that you send passport details for an ‘ordinary passport’ only (no diplomatic or any other passports).
4) Land Border: If Tibet does not open the border for foreign tourists, we will operate the tour on fly in/out basis from Lhasa and there will be supplement of US$ 450 per person for the supplement costs for Lhasa/Kathmandu flight and the itinerary will be revised too.
5) The tour cancellation policy is detailed below:
More than 60 days (& once air tickets are issued): US$ 350 per person
Between 60-45 days: 75 % of the package cost
Within 45 days: 100%of the package cost